Thursday, May 12, 2016

Longtime neighborhood barber Timothy 'Polo' Greene reflects fondly upon his 30-year career

Timothy 'Polo' Greene
When you step into Harlem Masters Barbershop on Lenox Avenue, you know that you will be well taken-care of and receive a top-notch haircut or style. The spacious and homey environment filled with photographs of celebrities, politicians and family friends of owner Timothy “Polo” Greene will instantly tell you that this business is run by a man who truly takes pride in what he does.  You also get the feeling that Greene really does consider his barbershop to be his second home as, in the back corner of the shop are lounge chairs, a television set and a table with a chess board.
Greene’s history with Harlem Masters dates back to 1994 when the shop was known as “Fifth Avenue Parlor.”  He worked there for eight years before becoming the shop’s owner in 2002, renaming it “Harlem Masters” to reflect the community and the fact that many employees have earned master degrees in barbering.

Reflecting on what he’s seen over the past 30 years, Greene said, “So many businesses closed and so many businesses opened. Change has been interesting here in Harlem.” The community also was hit hard when Hurricane Sandy ravished New York City in October 2012, causing many businesses to withdraw.
“It was a rebuilding process for everybody,” Greene said. “My wife [entrepreneur Princess Jenkins] and I try to re-create ourselves as often as possible so we can get the next vision of where things are and where things are going to be. A lot of people have come to Harlem to create new businesses. Here at Harlem Masters, we make sure that we connect into the community.”

Asked about notable figures who have passed through the doors of Harlem Masters, Greene described his fond memories of meeting his idol Muhammad Ali. “I never thought I would have the opportunity to meet one of the greatest figures in the world,” he said, speaking of the former heavyweight champion. Greene was introduced the champ when Ali was in town about to receive an award as “Athlete of the Century” and was in search of a barber to cut his hair for the big event.  Greene remembers how he felt when setting eyes on the boxer in his suite at the Sheraton Hotel near Times Square. “I was in awe,” he said. “I was just a simple barber, just a regular hardworking guy and I had the opportunity to meet this man and to see him in person was probably one of the greatest moments in my life. He’s a hero to me.” Ali met Greene’s wife and children as well, giving Greene’s daughters hugs and kisses. Ali greeted his star struck fan and, on realizing that Greene was going to be his barber, asked if he was a slow cutter or a fast cutter.  When Greene said he was a fast cutter, Ali jokingly said, “If you mess me up, I’m gonna knock you out.” After a few more lighthearted jokes, Ali made Greene his personal barber. Other clients of Greene’s include actor and comedian Kenan Thompson, actor and singer Keith David, and rapper Jadakiss to name a few. Other notables who have passed through the shop over the years include U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel and State Senator Bill Perkins.



When he’s not cutting hair, Greene takes time to reach out to others within the community including troubled youths and incarcerated individuals. His own experience of making mistakes and being able to make something of himself inspired him to help others do the same. “I would give [incarcerated individuals] the opportunity because I myself had the opportunity;  I messed up in my life when I was younger and I turned my life around to correct the wrong and I said ‘well if I can do it, I believe someone else can do it,’ so I didn’t turn my back on incarcerated people, I felt like everyone needs to have a chance.”

To this day, Greene meets with these individuals in his home talking with them to determine whether or not they will be able to enter the professional world of barbering. And he prepares his mentees well with thorough training and education “I have rules and regulations based on the license law and I follow those rules to the letter. If you want to be a barber and work in a professional setting, I’m willing to do that,” he says.

“I help direct them towards what they need to do, what they need to know, and what they need to learn as a professional barber, so they would have the knowledge and experience they need in case they want to move to another barbershop,” he explains, adding that “Some have gone on to open their own barbershops, which is pretty impressive. So I’ve felt that it’s a duty for me as a professional barber to give someone an opportunity to display what they know.”
When he’s not cutting hair, Greene engages in a variety of sports and identifies himself as an athlete, which is why he gave himself the nickname “Polo” fitting well with his last name. “I wear Polo (brand) clothes and my last name is Greene and I liked the sound of the name ‘Polo Greene’ …so I adopted the name and it fits me well,” he explains.  “Polo is a sport as we know it and I’m an athlete. I play baseball, football, basketball, track, tennis, and ride horses. I know how to play them and I play them well so I consider myself an athlete.”




No comments:

Post a Comment