Friday, July 14, 2017

Interview with Kristina Adduci from Art Zealous

Art enthusiast Kristina Adduci founded Art Zealous, a growing online arts media platform, to help young people get a better understanding of art with language and layout that’s clear and easy to follow. She took the time to tell us about how Art Zealous got started, her background, and future prospects.
Alison Martin: Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and how you ended up in the art world as a publisher?
Kristina Adduci: Since I was very young, I filled my time with painting and doodling. I was an only child so I had to be creative and the only thing that truly made me happy was when I was creating something. While I realized I didn’t want to be an artist, I did want to be more socially engaged with the art world. I received my Master’s Degree in Public Policy and then decided to move to NYC in the Summer of 2009. I joined many museum groups such as the MoMA JA’s, Whitney Contemporaries, and The Guggenheim Acquisition Council. I was on the Founding Board of the American Folk Art Museum’s Young Patrons group as well as the Bronx Museum. I wanted to scope out the landscape of how young people were getting their daily dose of art.
AM: When did you first launch Art Zealous? What do you hope to accomplish with the website? 
KA: After joining these groups and leaving some, I had this network of brilliant minds in the art world. The one thing that seemed to be missing was an art platform that was geared toward young people to help them understand art better. Many art publications have a dense language and my friends were having a hard time understanding what was going on or in some cases not feeling confident enough to walk into a Chelsea gallery or a museum. I decided I wanted to break that barrier; I wondered if I could help my friends and colleagues feel less intimidated by the art world. Art Zealous launched a year and half ago and it’s been growing ever since!
AM: As someone who has an interest in of art, is there a particular type of art that you identify with the most?
KA: I identify with artwork that inspires people and enacts change. As a Political Science nerd, I get excited when artists use art as an instrument to empower people and talk about our current political landscape.
AM: Do you do any artwork yourself?
KA: I actually like to paint when I’m stressed out. I recently picked up an interest in interior design as well, so my creativity definitely has a few outlets.
AM: Where do you see the contemporary art scene going in the future?
KA: I think how people will experience art in the future is exciting. Recently, Google Arts & Culture teamed up with Google Street View to allow anyone with a computer to take a virtual tour of museums throughout the world. Users can zoom in on a painting and read its annotations. I think it’s pretty astounding that my family in Puerto Rico, who may never get to visit the Met, can explore works and artists remotely.
AM: Are there any artists out there today who are just starting out that you see as having the potential to be the next big thing in the art community?
KA: Part of my job at Art Zealous is conducting interviews, and we’re lucky that we’ve interviewed some outstanding emerging artists. To name of a few: Mark Dorf, Christine Wang, Adrienne Elise Tarver, Addis Goldman, Elizabeth Waggett, Natalie Baxter. You can find more artists here.
AM: Which cities or countries would you say has the biggest art market?
KA: New York will always be to me the best place to live, work, play and see art. I do have to say that Amsterdam is my other favorite art market or art city. It’s home to some of my favorite museums and galleries in the world including Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk, and FOAM. Everything about Amsterdam I find quite inspiring from the people, food, culture etc.
AM: Do you have any advice for artists who are just starting out and navigating the art scene?
KA: Trust your gut, never stop meeting new people and learning, and be authentic. Authenticity will take you far in this industry.
AM: What is next for you? Where do you see yourself going from here?
KA: Art Zealous just launched photography services specifically for art events, and we’re really excited. Photo agencies tend to be very expensive and it’s hard for galleries and institutions to find a great photographer or agency at an affordable price. We have a staff of supremely talented photographers that can shoot an event at a price point that galleries are comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment